Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Broken Top's A la Mode

February 24th, 2013

 Skiers: Erik Schmidt and Lindsey Clark

A la Mode is the lovely face illuminated on the right

When mid-winter high pressure is in the forecast, Erik and I tend to head straight for Broken Top... and this day was no exception. Fresh powder and blue skies awaited us!


We decided to ascend the southeast ridge, and ski whatever looked good.


 Clouds moving in and out throughout the day made the views extra dramatic.





Once we gained the ridge, we assessed the recent weather and current snow conditions, and decided to ski the south-facing A la Mode. 


It took a little traversing across a steep slope of firm snow, then some more booting, to get to the top of the line.


Erik was happy to arrive!


Standing on top of the line, I was equally excited and intimidated about the ski down! It makes things a little more interesting when you can't see the bottom.


I dropped in first, then watched Erik ski the line. The snow went from firm at the top, to breakable crust on the apron down below. Glad I had my rockered skis on my feet!


There were big smiles and high-fives at the bottom! I was super excited to ski such a sick line. We got to look back and admire our tracks during our ski out.


As a perfect end to a perfect ski day, we rode off into the sunset.


No comments:

Post a Comment