Monday, December 10, 2012

I Can Ski Again!

Thanksgiving Weekend, 2012

A beautiful white vista near Mt. Bachelor

I had been anticipating this weekend for months. After a horribly painful and limpy few weeks after my last attempt to ski in June, I told myself that I wouldn’t put my skis back on until there was fresh snow on the ground and a groomed surface to ski. As it started snowing again in Oregon, I saw photos and heard stories of friends taking full advantage of our early-season snow! It was so difficult to control my instinct of skipping work, grabbing my skis, and heading for the hills! I really felt like waiting was the wise thing to do, however, so I practiced self control and waited for a few more weeks.

Opening day at Mt. Bachelor had 3 feet of fresh snow on the ground under a sunny sky. My decision to try a groomer first lasted about 4 or 5 turns before I launched off the trail, landed in a fluffy pillow of snow, and linked pow turns all the way to the bottom of the mountain.

It was on!

A few hours later, I met Erik for my first ski tour of the season. I have never been more prepared in my life! I had:

  • Freshly cleaned and waxed skis
  • Newly punched and molded boots
  • Fresh batteries in my beacon and headlamp
  • A super nice lunch I packed the night before
  • All clean clothes, including my jacket, pants, and all baselayers
  • Brand new socks!

This level of preparedness had never happened before! I guess I really was full of anticipation.

Fortunately, our snowy terrain was as beautiful as I left it, and Erik and I enjoyed a nice afternoon out on our skis.







After a rest day, Erik and I skinned up Tumalo to see how I’d do on a slightly longer, more involved ski tour. I had a few painful moments, but it all came together for me as soon as I dropped in. Does this look like a limpy, gimpy girl to you?




Cheers to the beginning of the 2012/2013 ski season, and many more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment